Monday

Women that rocked our world

When I think of women that have changed the world for me, there are a three that come to mind. The first is Madam C.J. Walker. A beauty industry entrepreneur that succeeded through hard work, she gave women that worked for her financial independence. In addition to being financially successful she believed in giving back to her community so she politically active and philanthropic. She even encouraged others to be involved in their community. She was more that just a business woman she motivated and encouraged change.  Checkout my blog on Madam C.J. Walker with links to more information on this impressive woman.
March's NaBloPoMo
The other woman that comes to mind is Grandma Moses. A renowned American Folk Artist, she didn't start paining until the age of 78. I like saying "Grandma Moses didn't start her career until she was 80" when friends and clients lament about their age and, what they view as, lack of accomplishments. If Grandma Moses can do it, who is to say it is too late for any women to start anew. 

When I think of amazing senior citizen women, Margaret Childers comes to mind. I doubt you have ever heard of her. She didn't run a successful beauty company or painting beautiful folk art but she was a beauty herself. I met Margaret when I was just starting out as an esthetician. She was my client and she taught me to grow old with dignity and a sense of humor. 

When the facial appointment was done, Margaret would get out of the bed by raising her right leg to sky then swooping it down and bringing up her body. I was astonished the first time she did this because Margaret Childers was 93 years old. This was no shrinking violet. Alone but never lonely, she spoke of outliving her husband and all her 6 siblings. wasn't able to have kids so had married later in life and spent all her holidays with her lovely angeleno neighbors. 

She was in demand, had too many invitations every holiday. Margaret was such a delightful joyous women I am sure she was as gracious and loving a guest as she was a client. 

Margaret's secret to a long and happy life:
  • Swim daily  - regular daily exercise
  • Volunteer at the center for the blind - help others
  • Grateful to have her sight - be thankful for and focus on what you have in your life.
If any of you have a story of a world changing woman, please share them. Plus if you knew Ms. Margaret Childers please let me know. I'm sure we will have fun remembering this delighting, inspiring woman.

Michelle G. Lathe, L.E.


I did something wacky...again. Signed up for another daily writing challenge. Last time it was the NaNoWriMo and I attempted to write a 50,000 word fictional novel in November. There is no finished novel but I did learn a lot from it. This time its NaBloPoMo through BlogHer.com. The them for March is (more info from BlogHer about this challenge)....NEWS. My goal with the daily blogging is to become a better blogger and writer. The only way to do that is to get your feedback. So I look forward to your comments and suggestions. Michelle 

No comments:

Post a Comment